Pink Cushion Flower, scientifically known as Scabiosa caucasica, is a beautiful herbaceous perennial plant that belongs to the honeysuckle family. It is native to the Caucasus region of Eastern Europe but is now grown in many parts of the world as an ornamental plant.
Pink Cushion Flower is a compact, clump-forming plant that typically grows to a height of 2 to 3 feet and a width of 1 to 2 feet. It produces pale pink or lavender-blue flowers that are held on long stems above the foliage from late spring to early fall. The flowers have a distinctive pincushion-like shape with a prominent central cone surrounded by a ring of flat petals. They are highly attractive to bees, butterflies, and other pollinators.
The foliage of Pink Cushion Flower is deeply lobed, with dark green leaves that form a basal rosette at the bottom of the plant. The leaves are 4-8 inches long and 2-4 inches wide and have a rough texture.
Pink Cushion Flower thrives in full sun to partial shade and prefers well-drained, fertile soil. It is a low-maintenance plant that requires minimal watering and fertilizing. It is also relatively resistant to pests and diseases.
The pink cushion flower's striking blooms, compact structure, extended blooming period, and ability to attract pollinators make it an appealing and valuable addition to gardens and landscapes.
- Blooms: The pink cushion flower produces beautiful, rounded blooms in varying shades of pink. These blossoms resemble fluffy cushions or pincushions, giving the plant its distinctive name.
- Structure: The plant has a compact and rounded growth habit, with a height ranging from 12 to 18 inches (30 to 45 centimetres). Its dense foliage forms a neat mound, creating an attractive and tidy appearance in garden beds or containers.
- Long blooming period: The pink cushion flower has an extended blooming season, often lasting from spring to fall. This extended display of flowers adds color and interest to the landscape throughout the growing season.
- Pollinator attractant: The nectar-rich blooms of the pink cushion flower attract pollinators such as butterflies, bees, and other beneficial insects. These visitors help with the plant's pollination and contribute to the overall health of the ecosystem.
- Low maintenance: This perennial flower is relatively low maintenance, making it a popular choice among gardeners. It is tolerant of various soil types and can thrive in both full sun and partial shade. It requires regular watering but is generally resistant to pests and diseases.
- Cut flower potential: The pink cushion flower's attractive blooms also make it suitable for cut flower arrangements. Its sturdy stems and long-lasting flowers make it a versatile choice for adding a touch of elegance to floral displays.
No Review is Found
Give a Review
You must have to login to give a review